A true veteran in the remittance industry, Y. Sudhir Kumar Shetty has been leading UAE Exchange, the global money transfer, foreign exchange and payment solutions brand, since 1991. His charismatic leadership, technological know-how and operational expertise have transformed UAE Exchange into a truly global brand.
Sudhir Shetty completed his Bachelor’s degree in Commerce & Bachelor’s degree in Law from the University of Mysore and also completed his Chartered Accountancy from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. In 1990, Sudhir Shetty joined NMC Group as Internal Auditor and within a year was elevated to the helm of UAE Exchange.
Today, UAE Exchange is one of the leading global money transfer, foreign exchange and payment solutions brand. It’s fast growing international presence spans 31 countries across five continents, with over 800 direct offices. UAE Exchange also has strong correspondent banking relationships with over 140 global banks. With over 9000 personnel, across the globe, representing over 40 nationalities, it serves more than 15 million customers.
Xpress Money, the instant money transfer service, has more than 200,000 agent locations in 165 countries and is fast consolidating its presence on the globe. The group acquired Travelex, the world’s largest retail network of specialist foreign exchange stores. With a globally diversified geographic footprint, which includes almost 1,600 stores and over 1,300 ATMs in 29 countries, Travelex is also one of the largest operators of stores in the world’s top international airports with 469 stores in airports.
Sudhir Shetty is known for his multi-faceted personality encompassing leadership, business, social work, philanthropic activities, promotion of culture, education and sports. He has also donned the hat of an actor by playing the vital role of Raja Marthanda Varma in the documentary titled ‘Travancore: A Saga of Benevolence.’
Sudhir is invited to various prestigious forums to speak on issues related to finance, compliance, technology and innovation. He has spoken at the United Nations, World Bank and IIMs among others. He is considered an authority in aspects related to remittance and migration. Industry players, research entities and the Media turn to him for advice and opinions.
Decorations and citations
- Member, Board of Trustees, India Development Foundation of Overseas Indians (IDF-OI), Govt. of India.
- Member of Advisory Board, Foreign Exchange & Remittance Group (FERG), UAE.
- President – Indian Business & Professional Group (IBPG), Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- President – Global Organisation of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO), Abu Dhabi Chapter.
- Vice President – Business Leaders Forum, UAE (BLF) .
- Has been a Member – National Anti-Money Laundering Committee, Central Bank of the UAE.
- Has been Vice-Chairman and Treasurer of Foreign Exchange & Remittance Group (FERG), UAE.
- Has been elected President of the prestigious India Social & Cultural Centre (ISC), Abu Dhabi, in 2009 with a thumping 82% majority.
- Member of the American Business Group (AmCham), UAE.
- Member of the Australian Business Group (AusBG), UAE.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Innovative Development Centre for Educational Aptitude (IDEA) Abu Dhabi.
- Member of the Advisory Board of Science India Forum (SIF), Abu Dhabi.
- Has been a Member of the Advisory Board of the University of Wollongong Dubai (UOWD), UAE.
- Has been a Member of the Advisory Board of Bright Riders School (BRS), Abu Dhabi.
- Has been a Member of the Board of Abu Dhabi Indian School, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Has been a Member of the Advisory Board of St. Joseph’s School, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Has been elected as a Member of the Zayed Cricket Academy, the School’s Cricket Development Board (under Abu Dhabi Cricket Council, for the development of budding cricketers.
- Founder member of Toastmasters in UAE, a leading movement dedicated to the improvement of communication and leadership skills among business executives. He has also been the President and sponsor of Toastmasters Club in UAE.
- Was a President of the Rotaract Club, Mangalore.
- Was a President of Rotary Club, Mangalore South.
- Successfully completed the Key Executive Program at Harvard Business School, USA in October 2000.
- He is a fellow member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce and a degree in Law from the University of Mysore in India.
- Profile selected in the prestigious Super 100 in the UAE.
- Profile incorporated in the coveted Achievers in the UAE .
- A leading public figure, he delivers lectures at academic and business circles across the world.
- Recipient of the Asian Arab Awards 2018 for the betterment of trade and enterprise between India and the world. Received on 22nd Jan 2018 held at JW Marriott, UB City, Bangalore, India.
- Mr. Sudhir Shetty honored with the Mayura Global Kannadiga Award Medal by Mr. U.T. Khader, Hon. Minister, Govt. of Karnataka in November, 2017 at Indian Association, Sharjah, UAE.
- 13th Pingara Rajyostava Award 2017 was conferred on Mr. Sudhir Shetty in November 2017 by Bishop of Mangaluru, Dr.Aloysius Paul D’Souza at the Town Hall, Mangaluru, Karnataka, India.
- NRI Business Excellence Award by Kerala Sahridya Vedi in February, 2016 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Award by Chiranthana Samskarika Vedi in July, 2015 in Dubai, UAE.
- Business Excellence MILAAP 2015 Award in the Financial Services category in January, 2015.
- Award for Excellence in Finance by ICAI Abu Dhabi Chapter in November, 2014.
- Human Achievers Award in September, 2014 in Delhi, India.
- NRI of the Year Award in the Professional category from ICICI Bank and Times Now in March, 2014.
- Eminent Aloysian Alumni Award by St. Aloysius College, Mangalore, in March, 2014.
- Recognition for contribution towards Social, Cultural and Financial Activities from Global NRI Welfare Association, Chennai, in November, 2013.
- Mayura Award 2013 conferred by Karnataka Sangha Sharjah in May, 2013.
- Shihab Thangal Award presented by Mannar Abdul Latheef, KPCC Secretary, in March, 2013, at Indian Islamic Centre, Abu Dhabi.
- Prestigious ‘Vishwamaanya Award’ awarded on the 9th Vishwa Kannada Samskruthi Sammelana 2012, declaring him as the most recognised person globally, in December, 2012.
- ‘Global Personality Award’ presented by the Chief Minister of Kerala in Thiruvananthapuram, in May, 2012.
- ‘Akshaya Global Award’ presented by the Hon’ble Minister of Kerala, Dr. M. K. Muneer, in December, 2011.
- RAKKEA Award for Commendable Contribution to Indian Society by the Crown Prince.