Having a valid passport is crucial for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) as it is a valuable identity document that allows them to travel and access government services. NRIs should ensure that their Passport is regularly renewed on time to prevent any travel disruptions and maintain their NRI status. Renewing a passport on time is also essential to protect one’s identity. In India, a valid passport is required to access government services like opening a bank account or filing taxes. Certain countries also need NRIs to have a valid passport to maintain their NRI status. An expired passport will not be accepted by airlines or immigration authorities, making it impossible to travel internationally until the Passport is renewed.
Is your Passport Expired?
NRIS should renew their passports at least 6 months before the expiry date. It will allow sufficient time to process the renewal application and receive the new Passport before the old one expires. Indian passports are valid for 10 years as a standard. However, NRIs may need to renew their passports earlier if they are lost or damaged or if there are any changes in personal details such as name and address.
When can you Start Applying for Passport Renewal?
It’s important to know that you can only apply for a passport renewal up to one year before your Passport expires. Trying to apply before this period is not possible. It is recommended to apply for passport renewal at least 6 months before expiration. It will give you enough time to complete the application process and receive your new Passport before the old one expires.
If you require your Passport quickly, you can opt for a Tatkaal passport application. These passports are processed and issued within 3-7 working days.
Documents Required for Passport Renewal
When applying for a passport renewal, there are several documents that you need to submit. Firstly, your current Passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of your application, and a self-attested copy of the first and last pages of your Passport should be submitted.
If you have a short-validity passport or SVP, you must also submit the validity extension page. Additionally, you must provide the ECR/Non-ECR page of your Passport, which indicates whether you must obtain emigration clearance before leaving India. (ECR- Emigration Check Required; Non-ECR -Emigration Check Not Required). The passport office will verify your ECR/non-ECR status before issuing you a new passport.
A page of observation issued by the Passport issuing authority may also need to be reviewed before giving you a new passport. This page contains any observations the Passport-giving authority has made about you, such as travel history, employment status, or marital status.
If you are a government servant, public sector employee, or an employee of an autonomous body, you will need to provide an intimation letter. However, private sector employees or self-employed individuals do not require it.
You must also provide proof of overseas address, including a utility bill, bank statement, or rental agreement. Additionally, you must provide proof of NRI status, which could be a copy of your work visa, residence permit, or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card.
Finally, you must provide a payment receipt for the passport renewal fee. You can pay online or at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).
For minor NRIs, the following additional documents will be required:
- Residential address proof in parent’s name
- 4.5 x 3.5cm passport-size photo on a white background
If a minor is travelling with only one parent or guardian, a notarized affidavit from the other parent or guardian is required to permit the travel. Parents can attest documents on behalf of a minor.
Fees & Charges of Passport Renewal
1. mPassport Seva Mobile App: Mobile Passport Seva Application
mPassport Seva is a mobile app developed by the MEA (Ministry of External Affairs), Government of India, to provide passport-related services to Indian citizens.
The mPassport Seva mobile app provides the following facilities:
If you want to register as a new user on the mPassport Seva app, you can easily create an account. If you already have a Passport Seva account, use that credentials to log in.
With the mPassport Seva app, you can easily apply for a new/renew an existing one and conveniently pay the application fee online.
To schedule an appointment for biometric registration and document submission at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK), you can use the mPassport Seva app.
In addition, you can find the nearest PSK location, view the passport application fee details, track the status of your passport application, and find contact information for relevant authorities through the app.
For more information about passport services, including eligibility criteria, required documents, and processing time, you can refer to the mPassport Seva app.
The mPassport Seva app is available for download on Android and iOS devices, providing a convenient and user-friendly way to apply for and renew your Passport.
2. NRI- Online Passport Renewal steps
To renew your Passport as an NRI online, follow these steps:
1. Visit the Passport Seva website and create an account if you do not already have one.
2. Find Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport option
3. Then select Reissue of Passport.
4. Enter your passport details and complete the application form.
5. Upload copies of the following documents:
- Your current Passport
- Proof of your overseas address
- Evidence of your NRI status
- Payment receipt for the passport renewal fee
6. Review your application carefully and submit it.
7. To book an appointment to renew your Passport, go to the Passport Seva Online Portal and sign in with your registered username and password. Once logged in, click “Pay and Schedule Appointment” under the “View Saved/Submitted Applications” tab. Choose a date and time for your appointment and pay the required fee.
8. Print the Application receipt, if needed.
3. NRI- Offline Passport Renewal steps
To renew your Indian Passport offline as an NRI, you must follow these steps:
1. Download the Application Form from the Passport Seva website.
2. Fill out the details accurately.
3. Attach the required documents, which include:
- Your current Passport (valid or expired)
- Address proof in India and abroad
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Passport of your spouse (if you want to endorse their name on your Passport)
- Travel tickets (if applying for Tatkaal renewal)
- Supporting documents for any change in details
4. Schedule an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) of your choice on the Passport Seva website.
5. Visit the PSK on the day of your appointment with all the required documents.
6. Pay the passport renewal fee.
7. Submit your application and documents.
8. Get your photograph and fingerprints taken.
9. Police verification will be done.
10. Once your application is submitted, processed and approved, you will receive it within 7-14 working days.
Note: If you are applying for Tatkaal passport renewal, you will receive your new Passport within 1-3 working days.
When it comes to renewing your Passport, it’s essential to keep the following points in mind:
- Begin the renewal process well before your travel date, which can take several weeks to complete.
- If you cannot visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) in person, you may authorize a trusted representative to do so on your behalf.
- Keep photostat copies of all your documents for your records.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact the Passport Seva website or customer service centre.
For any help, we are available 24/7: https://unimoni.in/contact.php