Are you thinking of moving to Canada to study?
If yes, you will need a study permit before pursuing your education as an International Student in Canada. But what is a study permit? Canadian government issues a document to foreign nationals, allowing them to study at Designed Learning Institutions.
Here’s a step-by-step guide you will need to obtain your student visa for Canada and prepare for your life there.
STEP 1: ENROLL IN A DESIGNATED LEARNING INSTITUTION (DLI)
Before applying for a study, Permit is deciding which school you want to go to. Different schools to enroll provinces and territories designate international students. Such schools are known as Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). Once you select a program and school of your interest, it’s time to apply for a Study Permit. But your application must include a letter of acceptance from a DLI.
STEP 2: MAKE SURE YOU MATCH THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
In addition to an acceptance letter from a DLI, there are many other eligibility requirements you will need to meet for a Study Permit. These include:
● Good Health – You are required to get a medical exam to prove that you are in good health.
● Proof of funds – You are required to provide evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees and meet your living expenses as well as your return expenses.
● No Criminal Record – You may be required to prove that you have no criminal record. You should also get a police certificate.
● Proof you will leave after Permit expires – Finally, you are obliged to prove to an officer you will go after Permit expires.
STEP 3: GET THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS IN ORDER
You will need the following documents to apply for a Study Permit:
● Proof of Identity – You will need to provide a valid passport or travel document and two recent passport-sized photos.
● Proof of Acceptance – You need to provide your school with the original acceptance letter and electronic copy.
● Proof of Financial Support – You can use the following documents to provide evidence of financial support :
1. Canadian bank account in your name.
2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial Institutions.
3. Student or education loan from a bank
4. Bank draft that can convert to Canadian dollars
5. Proof of paid tuition and housing fee
6. Bank Statement for the past four months
7. Letter from the person or school which is sponsoring you money
8. The funding is paid within Canada if you have a scholarship or a Canadian-funded educational program.
STEP 4: APPLY FOR A STUDY PERMIT DOCUMENT
Study permits can be applied online or by using a paper copy. Depending upon where you apply, there are different instructions on proceeding. And the clear-cut instructions for this are given on the Government of Canada website.
Complete the process by filling out the application form online or on paper, getting the documentation done, and paying the fees. The fees include application processing costs and biometrics fees, whereas biometrics include your fingerprints and a digital photograph. Other fees are included for a police certificate or medical exam based on your specific application.
On approval of your application, a study permit will be given.
STUDENT DIRECT STREAM ( SDS)
Depending upon where you live, you may be eligible for SDS, which allows you to accelerate the process. The aim is to process the applications within 20 calendar days and get faster processing, and you must provide your biometrics by meeting all other requirements. The SDS application is only available online. You can also go to the Government of Canada website to see if you are eligible for the SDS program.
Please note that a study permit is not a visa. While traveling to Canada, you may also require a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA. You will receive one of these documents with your study permit.
STEP 5: ARRIVE IN CANADA
Once you arrive in Canada, set up all your necessities so you can feel prepared and comfortable before the school year starts:
● Find a place to live
● Set up a mobile plan
● Find a job
● Open a bank account
For any further doubts or queries connected to your International educational needs in Canada, visit the UNIMONI INDIA website and arrange a free demo call with our professionals. We would to happy to assist you!